Nasya’ is an Ayurvedic practice that encourages nasal administration of medicinal herbs, decoctions and oils. Commonly such treatments are known to clear sinus congestion, help clear accumulated toxins from head and neck region.
In Ayurveda Nasya is considered one of the most important holistic self-care that encourages internal detoxification. Many Vaidya’s consider Nasya as a part of Ayurvedic Daily Routine and conducts in every day by putting 3-5 drops of warm ghee or sesame seed oil into each nostril in the morning.
Nasya helps to lubricate the nasal passage, clean out mucus and sinuses, improves voice, mental clarity,smell and vision.
Nasya Oils For Different Doshas:
In Ayurveda various substances are used to do Nasya. The most common Nasya oil is herbal infused oil which is both nurturing and nourishing, and alleviating numerous discomforts. Following are some dosha specific Nasya Oil formulas.
Vata Dosha: Sesame oil, ghee, or vacha (calamus) oil. Pitta Dosha: Brahmi ghee, sunflower or coconut oil. Kapha Dosha: Vacha (calamus root) oil. Other nasya oils available in the market are balancing formula for all three doshas.
Anu Taila: Is a classical Ayurvedic formula for Nasya that was described in Asthanga Hrdaya. It treats sinus problems, clears nasal passages, strengthens head, ears, eyes, throat, tongueand shoulders. Prepared in a base of sesame seed oil it contains 30 herbs and goat’s milk.
Herbs such as jivanti, devadaru, twak, gopi, musta, shatavari, lotus, vidanga, cardamom, cinnamon and vitex are used in Anu Taila. Anu Taila positively effects Tridosha and has no known side effect if administered correctly.
How To Do Nasya Treatment: Self-administration Of Nasya At Home
- Comfortably lie down on your back and tilting your head back. Use a pillow under the neck only and tilt the head down (backwards – looking up on the ceiling). Or if you are lying on a bed, you may hang your head off the edge of the bed.
- Place 3-5 drops of either Dosha specific Nasya oil or Anu Taila or Tridoshic Nasya oil in each nostril. Apply or administer drop by drop in order to absorb the oil through the nostril better. Massage in circular motion the outside perimeter of the nostril to ensure drops go down the nasal passage.
- Breath in with light force and then rest for two minutes allowing the oil to penetrate. Nasya will not block air or breathing, or disturb sleep on the contrary it will clear the nasal passage and make one feel more energetic. Do not overdo Nasya.
Benefits Of Nasya:
Apart from the above mentioned benefits Nasya as a Daily Routine can relieve you from
- Hoarseness of voice and stuttering or slurred speech
- Stiffness in the head, neck, throat, teeth and jaw area (TMJ)
- Headaches and migraines
- Earaches and any pain in nose and throat
- Known to improve conditions such as Rhinitis (runny nose)
- Relieve mental and emotional stress, anxiety, fear and negativity
- Positively impact higher cerebral and sensory organs (eyes, nose, ears, skin and tongue)
- Neuro muscular conditions
- Prevents facial paralysis, goiter, tonsillitis, convulsion and motor disorder.
- Prevents loose teeth, gingivitis and diseases of the oral cavity.
Nasya also nourishes the body by
- Strengthening the hair as well as prevent white/grey hair
- Firming veins, joints, tendons, and ligaments of the neck
- Reduces the chances of eye disorders due to old age
Contraindication Of Nasya:
Do not apply Nasya oil under following circumstances
- When bleeding
- Suffering from acute health conditions, infectious disease, and fever
- Immediately before or right after food or drinking
- During any attacks – heart attacks, asthma attacks, or any pain condition
- Avoid administrating Nasya oil during pregnancy, and menstruation
Get Healthy with Our Variety of Products
Experience A Holistic Approach Towards Life.